The Quantum Physics Sequence
A non-mysterious introduction to quantum mechanics, intended to be accessible to anyone who can grok algebra and complex numbers. Cleaning up the old confusion about QM is used to introduce basic issues in rationality (such as the technical version of Occam's Razor), epistemology, reductionism, naturalism, and philosophy of science. Not dispensable reading, even though the exact reasons for the digression are hard to explain in advance of reading.
A guide to this sequence is available at The Quantum Physics Sequence
Basic Quantum Mechanics
- Quantum Explanations
- Configurations and Amplitude
- Joint Configurations
- Distinct Configurations
- Where Philosophy Meets Science
- Can You Prove Two Particles Are Identical?
- Classical Configuration Spaces
- The Quantum Arena
- Feynman Paths
- No Individual Particles
- Identity Isn't In Specific Atoms
- The So-Called Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle
- Which Basis Is More Fundamental?
- Where Physics Meets Experience
- Where Experience Confuses Physicists
- On Being Decoherent
- The Conscious Sorites Paradox
- Decoherece is Pointless
- Decoherent Essences
- The Born Probabilities
- Decoherence as Projection
- Entangled Photons
- Bell's Theorem: No EPR "Reality"
- Spooky Action at a Distance: The No-Communication Theorem
- Decoherence is Simple
- Quantum Non-Realism
- Collapse Postulates
- If Many-Worlds Had Come First
- Many Worlds, One Best Guess
- Living in Many Worlds
- Mach's Principle: Anti-Epiphenomenal Physics
- Relative Configuration Space
- Timeless Physics
- Timeless Beauty
- Timeless Causality
- Timeless Identity
- Thou Art Physics
- Timeless Control
Rationality and Science
- The Failures of Eld Science
- The Dilemma: Science or Bayes?
- Science Doesn't Trust Your Rationality
- When Science Can't Help
- Science Isn't Strict Enough
- Do Scientists Already Know This Stuff?
- No Safe Defense, Not Even Science
- Changing the Definition of Science
- Faster Than Science
- Einstein's Speed
- That Alien Message
- My Childhood Role Model
- Einstein's Superpowers
- Class Project
- Why Quantum?