Existential risk is a risk that is both global (affects all of humanity) and terminal (destroys or irreversibly cripples the target). Such risk has special importance in most kinds of consequentialist morality, because its irreversible nature makes it matter for the rest of time.
- Intelligence enhancement as existential risk mitigation by Roko
- Our society lacks good self-preservation mechanisms by Roko
- Nick Bostrom (March 2002). "Existential Risks. Analyzing Human Extinction Scenarios and Related Hazards". Journal of Evolution and Technology 9. http://www.nickbostrom.com/existential/risks.html. (PDF)
- Nick Bostrom, Milan M. Cirkovic, ed (2008). Global Catastrophic Risks. Oxford University Press.
- Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (2008). "Cognitive Biases Potentially Affecting Judgment of Global Risks". Global Catastrophic Risks. Oxford University Press. http://yudkowsky.net/rational/cognitive-biases. (PDF)