Map and Territory
Map and Territory is the first book contained in the ebook Rationality: From AI to Zombies, by Eliezer Yudkowsky. It is the edited and expanded version of a series of blog posts in "the Sequences", and discusses the nature of rationality, belief, and explanation.
Map and Territory contains four sequences of essays, which are followed by the stand-alone essay The Simple Truth. These are all collected in the Rationality: From AI to Zombies ebook, but the essay names below are also linked to the original blog posts.
The next book in the series is How to Actually Change Your Mind.
A. Predictably Wrong
- 1. What Do I Mean By “Rationality”?
- 2. Feeling Rational
- 3. Why Truth? And…
- 4. … What’s a Bias, Again?
- 5. Availability
- 6. Burdensome Details
- 7. Planning Fallacy
- 8. Illusion of Transparency: Why No One Understands You
- 9. Expecting Short Inferential Distances
- 10. The Lens That Sees Its Own Flaws
B. Fake Beliefs
- 11. Making Beliefs Pay Rent (in Anticipated Experiences)
- 12. A Fable of Science and Politics
- 13. Belief in Belief
- 14. Bayesian Judo
- 15. Pretending to be Wise
- 16. Religion's Claim to be Non-Disprovable
- 17. Professing and Cheering
- 18. Belief as Attire
- 19. Applause Lights
C. Noticing Confusion
- 20. Focus Your Uncertainty
- 21. What is Evidence?
- 22. Scientific Evidence, Legal Evidence, Rational Evidence
- 23. How Much Evidence Does it Take?
- 24. Einstein's Arrogance
- 25. Occam's Razor
- 26. Your Strength As A Rationalist
- 27. Absence of Evidence is Evidence of Absence
- 28. Conservation of Expected Evidence
- 29. Hindsight Devalues Science
D. Mysterious Answers
- 30. Fake Explanations
- 31. Guessing the Teacher's Password
- 32. Science as Attire
- 33. Fake Causality
- 34. Semantic Stopsigns
- 35. Mysterious Answers to Mysterious Questions
- 36. The Futility of Emergence
- 37. Say Not "Complexity"
- 38. Positive Bias: Look Into the Dark
- 39. Lawful Uncertainty
- 40. My Wild and Reckless Youth
- 41. Failing to Learn from History
- 42. Making History Available
- 43. Explain/Worship/Ignore?
- 44. "Science" as Curiosity-Stopper
- 45. Truly Part of You