This is a list of errata for the first edition of Rationality: From AI to Zombies, by Eliezer Yudkowsky. You can add any errors you notice here, or email them to email@example.com.
Thanks for pointing out these mistakes go to: Viliam Búr, Wayne McDougall, Gram Stone, Daniel Greene, Paul Crowley, Joshua Cogliati.
1. What Do I Mean By "Rationality"?
- The link to Jim Holt's introduction to Newcomb's Problem is broken; the correct link is http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/egghead/2002/02/thinkinginside_the_boxes.html.
74. Avoiding Your Belief's Real Weak Points
- "My point is that, when it comes to spontaneous self-questioning, one is much more likely to spontaneously self-attack strong points with comforting replies to rehearse, then to spontaneously self-attack the weakest, most vulnerable points." should say "than" in place of "then." This is an important meaning difference, albeit one that's easy to glean from context.
Biases: An Introduction
- "We’re especially loathe to think" should be "We’re especially loath to think"
76. Fake Justification
- "Renown is one reasonable criteria" should be "Renown is one reasonable criterion"
87. Anchoring and Adjustment
- "then they adjust upward or downward from their starting estimate until they reached an answer that “sounded plausible”; and then they stopped adjusting." should be "then they adjust upward or downward from their starting estimate until they reach an answer that “sounds plausible”; and then they stop adjusting." to maintain tense consistency.
91. The "Outside the Box" Box
- The link to Scott Aaronson's blog is directed at the wrong comment; the correct link is http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=87#comment-2092.
150. The Hidden Complexity of Wishes
- "programming an Arithmetic Expert Systems" should be "programming Arithmetic Expert Systems"
157. Similarity Clusters
- "these things may serve out to single out only humans" should be "these things may serve to single out only humans"
Interlude: An Intuitive Explanation of Bayes's Theorem
- "a women" should be "a woman"
176. Superexponential Conceptspace, and Simple Words
- In the epub version, the exponents display wrong in some places. E.g., 2^240 should be 2^2^40.
184. Beautiful Probability
- "taken as a the limit of a finite process" should be "taken as the limit of a finite process"
187. Perpetual Motion Beliefs
- "why couldn’t be the case" should be "why that couldn’t be the case"
- "sticking in your finger into boiling water" should be "sticking your finger into boiling water"
204. Bind Yourself to Reality
- "Think like Reality" should be capitalized "Think Like Reality".
214. Hands v. Fingers
- "That that’s why we have" should be "That’s why we have".
224. GAZP vs. GLUT
- "Heck, you need the ability to write things to memory just so that time can pass for the computation. Unless you think it's possible to program a conscious being in Haskell." A reader pointed out that this could be plausibly done by using IO Monads.
- Haskell example:
main = do putStrLn "Hello, what's your name?" name <- getLine putStrLn ("Hi " ++ name ++ "!")
247. Science Isn't Strict Enough
- "you could know things without looking them" should be "you could know things without looking at them"
262. Dreams of AI Design
- "go around all day in circles talk about" should be "go around all day in circles talking about".
274. Magical Categories
- Terri Schiavo is misspelled as "Terry" Schiavo.
The Twelve Virtues of Rationality
- Should be just "Twelve Virtues of Rationality". There are places it's named that also need to be corrected: "Biases: an introduction", "Something to Protect", "The Virtue of Narrowness", "The Meditation on Curiosity". Eliezer hasn't been consistent about this himself, but I think "Twelve Virtues" is clearly superior to "The Twelve Virtues" :)
- In the epub version, the exponents display wrong in some places. E.g., 2^265,536 should be 2^2^65,536.