Recursive self-improvement is an approach to Artificial General Intelligence that allows a system to make adjustments to its own functionality resulting in improved performance. The system could then feedback on itself with each cycle reaching ever higher levels of intelligence resulting in either a hard or soft AI takeoff.
Such a system would be bound by the limitations of its hardware. The software would be searching for cognitive algorithms that were the most optimal.
- Recursive Self Improvement by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- Cascades, Cycles, Insight... by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- ...Recursion, Magic by Eliezer Yudkowsky
- Seed AI description from Singularity Institute.
- Risks from Artificial Intelligence by Eliezer Yudkowsky.
- Advantages of Artificial Intelligence by Kaj Sotala