A terminal value is an ultimate goal, and end-in-itself. In an AI with a utility or reward function, the terminal value is the maximization of that function. (In some of Eliezer Yudkowsky's earlier writings, such as Creating Friendly AI, this is called a [[Subgoal stomp|supergoal].)
- Terminal values vs instrumental
- The terminal values of humanity?
- A partial list
- The complexity of human values
- The paperclip maximizer and AIXI an examples
- Benevolence as an instrumental and as a terminal value
- Shifts in human terminal values
- Subgoal stomp ("goal displacement")
- A person wants to get rich to better enjoy life, and because of a total focus on money, becomes a workaholic focused on money for its own sake.
- Humans as adaptation executors