This is a collection of interesting discussion threads that have appeared on Less Wrong.
These special threads are created periodically. ('All' links lead to the latest thread as of December 25th, 2013. Rationality Quotes, Rationality Diary and Open Thread threads now have an automatically updating link on the main and discussion sections of LW, respectively, so will not be updated here.)
- Welcome to LessWrong!: introduce yourself here if you are new
- Open thread for December 24-31, 2013: posted fortnightly to collect "random" topics not deserving a whole post
- Rationality Quotes December 2013: posted monthly to collect quotes of interest
- What are you working on? October 2013: posted bimonthly(but often skipped) for discussing users' current projects
- December 2013 Media Thread: posted monthly to collect recommendations/reviews for media (books, movies, anime etc)
- HPMoR Discussion thread, part 28, chapter 99-101: posted sporadically for discussing the fanfic Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
- Group Rationality Diary, December 16-31: posted bimonthly for people to talk about how they applied rationality in their lives
- December Monthly Bragging Thread: posted monthly to collect the most awesome things people have done in that month
- Tell Us Your Rationalist Origin Story
- The Most Important Thing You've Learned, The Most Frequently Useful Thing, That You'd Tell All Your Friends (may be useful for finding interesting posts to read)
- Issues and bugs: use this bug tracker to raise issues about blog's underlying software (open-ended discussion of suggestions is more appropriate in open threads)
- Here is some information about contributing to the Less Wrong code base
- Solved Problems Repository A collection of "solved problems in instrumental rationality."
- Useful Concepts Repository A collection of concepts that Less Wrong users have "found particularly useful for understanding the world."
- Boring Advice Repository A collection of advice that is optimized for helpfulness rather than depth of insight
- Useful Questions Repository Questions that are useful to keep in mind in various situations
- Bad Concepts Repository A collection of useless or harmful concepts
- Grad Student Advice Repository A collection of advice for graduate students
- Textbook Repository The best textbooks on every subject
- Reference Repository List of references and resources for LessWrong
- Procedural Knowledge Gaps How to do things that are "common sense" but that you may not know.
- Mistakes Repository Life course changing mistakes made by LW members.
- Good Things to have Learned Skills and life lessons learned and considered valuable by LW members.
- Financial Effectiveness Repository Some advice on ways to increase financial rewards from different kinds of not necessarily market investments.
- Previous welcome threads:
- All threads for rationality quotes
- Some open threads and older ones (not all open threads are tagged with open_thread)
- All 'What are you working on?' threads
- All media threads
- Where we are: a hierarchically organized thread for locating other Less Wrong users (somewhat obsolete due to new meetup system).